The 7 building blocks children need to start reading and writing
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLSyllabification assists with spelling and reading of unfamiliar long words
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLIf a child wants to spell the word mat but is unsure of how to spell it, referring to a word that rhymes can assist (e.g. bat).
If a child is having difficulty reading an unfamiliar word, referring them to a rhyming word can assist.
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLKnowing the relationship between letters and the sounds they make is a necessary skill to begin the reading and spelling process.
Letter formation descriptions
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLProper letter formation is essential for efficient and fluid writing.
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLSegmenting forms the foundation skill required for spelling.
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLBlending forms the foundation skill required for reading.
- WHY CHILDREN NEED THIS SKILLResearch shows that children who have a solid and enriched vocabulary have greater success when learning how to read, write and spell.
- PRE-LITERACY SKILLS